What is the Sac State Lobby Corps?
The Sac State Lobby Corps, also known as the Governmental Affairs Policy Committee, is the advocacy branch of ASI and serves as a policy analysis and advisory committee to the ASI Board of Directors. It is comprised of Sacramento State students who lobby at the local, state, and federal levels.
We provide classes and training sessions that teach students how to effectively advocate on behalf of the students at Sac State. Lobby Corps members lean how to coordinate visits to the Capitol to directly engage with state legislators and their staff. The mission of the Sacramento State Lobby Corps is to ensure that the voices of students are included in the discussion on higher education in the State.
Lobby Corps Duties
- Advise the ASI Board of Directors on whether to support or oppose legislation.
- Research legislation that affects higher education and the students at Sac State.
- Attend committee hearings relating to education at the State Capitol.
- Meet with Assembly and Senate members to discuss legislative bills and their progress.
“Make an impact! Be the voice of Sac State’s students at the Capitol!”
Why Should You Join Lobby Corps?
Thanks to our location in the State’s capital, Sac State’s Lobby Corps offers its member a unique opportunity to meaningfully influence the legislative process by engaging directly with lawmakers. Aside from looking great on a resume Lobby Corps also gives you the chance to:
- Gain policy research and lobbying experience.
- Improve communication skills.
- Develop leadership skills.
- Practice working in a professional environment.
How Do You Join The Lobby Corps?
To become an official voting member of Lobby Corps you will need to fill out the committee interest form, here. Lobby Corps membership is open to all majors, and Lobby Corps meetings are open to any students who wish to attend, membership is not required. If you’re curious about Lobby Corps, please come to one of our meetings or visit us in the ASI Office of Governmental Affairs located on the 3rd Floor of the University Union. We would be more than happy to answer any questions that you may have.
Academic Year 2019/20
|Pacific Suite I|
|March 26, 2020||CANCELLED||Download|
|April 16, 2020||Capital Room||Download|
|April 30, 2020||Capital Room||Download|
Interested in Attending CHESS (California Higher Education Student Summit)?
- Apply for the Registration Scholarship – due by February 14 at 5:00 PM
- Administration Officer – To be announced
- Outreach Coordinator – To be announced
For Active Lobby Corps Members
Check out our Lobbying Resources page for legislative research tools.